When installing Exchange 2013 from PowerShell in my lab I ran into an issue and the server failed installing the Client Access Role.

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Service Pack 1 Unattended Setup
Copying Files…
File copy complete. Setup will now collect additional information needed for installation.
Management tools
Mailbox role: Transport service
Mailbox role: Client Access service
Mailbox role: Unified Messaging service
Mailbox role: Mailbox service
Client Access role: Front End Transport service
Client Access role: Client Access Front End service
Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check
Configuring Prerequisites     COMPLETED
Prerequisite Analysis     COMPLETED
Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server
Preparing Setup     COMPLETED
Stopping Services     COMPLETED
Copying Exchange Files     COMPLETED
Language Files     COMPLETED
Restoring Services     COMPLETED
Language Configuration     COMPLETED
Exchange Management Tools     COMPLETED
Mailbox role: Transport service     COMPLETED
Mailbox role: Client Access service     FAILED
The following error was generated when “$error.Clear();
Install-ExchangeCertificate -WebSiteName “Exchange Back End” -services “IIS, POP, IMAP” -DomainController $RoleDomainController -InstallInTrustedRootCAIfSelfSigned $true
if ($RoleIsDatacenter -ne $true -And $RoleIsPartnerHosted -ne $true)
Install-AuthCertificate -DomainController $RoleDomainController
” was run: “Could not grant Network Service access to the certificate with thumbprint 1C5101B4BE0AF6CBD6A39FD413436E2649B0124 because a cryptographic exception was thrown.”.

The Exchange Server setup operation didn’t complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

Since I was already in PowerShell I went ahead and added the Exchange SnapIn since the Exchange Management Tools were installed and checked for the thumbprint listed above

PS C:\Exchange\Setup> Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010
PS C:\Exchange\Setup> Get-ExchangeCertificate
Thumbprint Services Subject
———- ——– ——-
4DEAE2C0FD7657546E5BE9C326DFD463F6F3AB3D ….S.. CN=ex02
59A4489083B12076D397B30B27B53397194A2B2C ….S.. CN=Microsoft Exchange Server Auth Certificate
046880AF472664A815FFBC2252860A2E2111231B ……. CN=WMSvc-EX02

As we can see it’s not listed so I decided to look at all the certificates loaded on the server.

I then opened up MMC and added certificates for the local computer and see 4 certificates, however Exchange is only seeing 3. I am not sure where the certificate for the FQDN came from since the labs was just built today (8-10-14). The other three were supposed to be there after an Exchange Server install.


I backed up the certificate and removed it and then re-ran the installation and it resolved the issue.


Unknown at this time. I have been able to reproduce the issue but I do not know why the certificate is there (possible lab image issue). Time to try to debug the issue. J


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.